We are no longer accepting applications for the fall semester. Please check back here soon!
Tutor Corps Application
CUNY Tutor Corps is seeking applicants with a desire to:
- Improve the math and computer science learning of middle and high school students
- Inspire younger students to study STEM by developing mentoring relationships
- Investigate secondary teaching of math or computer science as a viable career option
Tutors are paid $17/hour. You can click here to read our FAQs.
- Assist students with math or computer science with little intervention from the host teacher
- Travel to NYC public school where tutoring takes place
- Collaborate with host teacher to review lesson plans and students who require assistance
- Adhere to policies and procedures of the public school and classroom where assigned
- Build rapport and consistency with students
- Accurately track time spent with students in order to gauge contribution to their success
- Maintain timely communication with host teacher and Tutor Corps Instructional Services Manager regarding schedule, classroom visits, and issues of concern
- Follow timekeeping procedures via Vericlock and complete timesheets by the end of each pay period
- Attend paid monthly Tutor Corps workshops dedicated to pedagogy, career development, and anti-racism dialogues
- Currently an enrolled full-time undergraduate or graduate CUNY student
- Interest in working or teaching in NYC public schools
- Academically qualified with a 3.0 GPA
- Completed or in the process of completing 12 credits in math, computer science, technology or education
- Ability to commit to at least 6 hours per week between 8 AM and 3 PM, and travel to and from a NYC public school
- Foundational knowledge of algebra or computer science
- Ability to follow directions
- Willingness to learn and share knowledge with others
- Obtain or possess a Social Security Number in order to be fingerprinted by Department of Education
- Prior tutoring experience or experience working with children is desired, but not required
Teachers or administrators must fill out a host school application. The deadline for the Host School Application submission is June 2020.
Host School Application
Host schools must be affiliated with at least one of the following organizations:
- Algebra for All
- Computer Science for All
- Early College Initiative
- Affinity Group
- LINCT Group
- College Now
One of these groups will need to verify the school is in good standing and able to participate through them.
- Participating schools must appoint a Site Supervisor to serve as the administrative contact with the program.
- Participating schools must provide time, space and supervision for one-on-one / small-group tutoring.
- Participating schools must support Host Teachers in taking advantage of tutor support in the classroom.
- Participating schools must communicate regularly with Tutor Corps staff regarding site-specific modifications or challenges with our model.