Are you interested in applying to become a Fellow?
CUNY College & Career Advising Fellows (CUNY CCAF) provides high quality college and career advising support to students at participating schools, ensuring they have personalized advising through their junior and senior years to develop and pursue a strong match postsecondary plan. CUNY CCAF launched in August 2022 in partnership with Bloomberg Philanthropies and the NYC Public School’s Office of Student Pathways. It is housed in CUNY’s Office of K16 Initiatives College & Career Advising Programs.
CUNY CCAF builds off the success of our partner College & Career Bridge for All program, another partnership between CUNY and NYC Public Schools, and employs NYC Public Schools alumni who are former Bridge Coaches and are recent college graduates to work full time at schools from September – June. In employing recent college graduates – primarily from CUNY – the program not only provides young professionals with meaningful work experience in the education field but also leverages their recent college experience and near-peer status to connect with students.
In August 2022, we launched CUNY CCAF with 15 full-time Fellows serving 10 New York City Public Schools supporting seniors with their postsecondary planning process and juniors with early exploration and preparation steps. Each of our high school partners is supported by one full-time Fellow for the full academic year whose work is focused on seniors, and one Fellow working in a hybrid capacity to support two schools.
Fellows participate in an intensive five week preservice training before they begin work and meet monthly to connect as a community and continue their professional development. They also have regular check-ins with a central team member in addition to being supervised by the school staff.
Fellows are prepared to support students to:
- Complete college and career exploration activities
- Create a strong match postsecondary plan, including a college list and/or list of career programs
- Write a personal statement, create a brag sheet and get letters of recommendation
- Complete college applications (CUNY, SUNY & Common App) and applications to career programs
- Complete Financial Aid processes: FAFSA, CSS Profile, New York State TAP and Dream Act Applications and financial aid verification
- Enroll in special programs and navigate proficiency requirements
- Compare college offer letters and select the best match option
- Complete enrollment steps for college or career programs
- Apply for scholarships and opportunity programs
- Persist in college or career programs through connecting to community and support resources
By December 1st, 70% of seniors at participating schools had submitted a CUNY application and 78% of seniors had at least one individual meeting with their Advising Fellow!
There have been so many highlights of my work – starting with getting to work with such an amazing school and counselor. My next highlight is my students. A great batch of students and I know they will do great things in their lives. And the team itself, CUNY CCAF. I’m trying to figure out what I see myself doing in the future, and it is definitely something in college readiness, thanks to this role.”